Monday, March 30, 2009

Urban Farming: Keeping Backyard Chickens

It's funny how things happen - I've been "thinking" of getting a backyard chicken for it's eggs - But I haven't gotten much past the "thinking" part. My reality is, today when my mom and I took a goat cheese making class, we saw the cutest little balls of fluff - Less than week old baby chicks! So as any GOOD Nana would do, my mom purchased 4 of the little buggers (hopefully they end up being hens otherwise back to the farm they go!) as "Easter gifts" for my kids.

My township has an ordinance where a family CAN keep backyard hens for their eggs, so it should be all fine and dandy - My husband was not amused and I received the "I-can't-believe-you-did-that" or "What-did-you-just-get-us-into" stare. But we're now the proud owners of the lil' peepers! (Note: while I got the stare, when the light we had wouldn't work, HE ran right out and got a new light to keep our little ones warm!)

I should mention that giving pets as gifts is never a good idea, however it WAS already something I was considering, and IF for some reason we can not keep them - allergies, illness, etc. They can go back to the person who sold them to us or possibly elsewhere. There are plenty of people looking for "free" chickens on Craigslist in this area...

So now I'll research what type they are (I know two of them lay the blue colored eggs) and specifics on raising chickens in small places, while we enjoy the gentle peeping noises coming from them. The kids will really get a kick out of watching them grow and change too...

No comments:

Post a Comment