Lilacs are my FAVORITE summer flower and it really is a shame they don't bloom all summer long. I haven't tried growing any of the ever blooming type lilacs, I'm just not sure they'd smell the same!
I learned through experience, how to keep my lilac bouquet fresh the longest:
- Collect flowers in early morning just as the dew starts to dry, or in the evening.
- Carry a small bucket of lukewarm water to place the newly cut stems immediately into water.
- Harvest "cluster-type" flowers before all the buds have opened.
- Once you have the lilacs at home, remove any foliage that would be submerged in water and re-cut the stems on a slant before putting them in the vase.
- One final tip I was taught was to split the branches, slitting them so that the water can more easily move up the woody stems!