Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Signs of Spring...

The local paper AnnArbor.com asked a quick Facebook poll today "What signs of spring have you seen?" Many people responded with funny or creative comments such as:


The long lines outside of the recently opened Dairy Queens.
Mud.
Potholes.
The first robin of spring.
Having to re-fill the bird feeder!
Honking geese.
Puddles and dirty snow mounds, but kids are outdoors wearing shorts.
Undergrads in flip-flops.

And the list goes on and on. But what have you seen specifically in your own yard?

On Sunday while I was cleaning the debris from the front yard I realized several pansies in my one pot have appeared to over winter while being covered by some pine boughs, I also found worms crawling sluggishly on the sidewalk, and just today as I was re-filling the birdfeeder I saw two honey bees lazily flying around looking for something to eat! On the south side of my neighbor’s house, several of her bulbs are beginning to pop, and when we stopped by the farmers market this weekend, pussy willow bunches were for sale!  My family has also boiled down a bunch of Maple sap that we collected - and are continuing to collect - to make some wonderfully home made Maple Syrup.

So what have you observed? Have you bought your spring seeds yet? Anyone getting the itch to get dirty and play in the garden?

I will admit, I did take my garden hoe out to my raised beds and poked around some - Nothing but frozen chunks of dirt on Sunday, but I'm certain one day VERY soon things will be rearing to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment